Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 21:39:05 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>, Adam Turoff <AdamT@smginc.com>, hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, Robert Glover <rob@f-body.org>
Subject:   Re: Token Ring for FreeBSD yet?

> On Wed, 25 Feb 1998 12:24:11 +1030, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:
>
> >On a normal network, a 10Mbit Ethernet network could outrun a 16Mbit
> >Token Ring network, simply because of the token-passing scheme that
> >Token Ring uses.
>
> >token passing isn't very efficient under any kind of load.
>
> Can you back this up with performance test data?
>
> It doesn't jive at all with test results Tolly published several years
> ago in Data Communications.  He said token ring would run at full 16mb
> wire speed while Ethernet would degrade to 7mb because of collisions.

Empirical data indicates that useful throughput on Ethernet varies
enormously as a function of traffic types.  Giving a single number for
throughput is a pretty damning conviction of any set of conclusions.
This is more or less established Ethernet lore.

If you'd ever seen Greg's shed, you'd believe the data was there.  At
any rate, given that he spent far too long working for Tandem I'd be
inclined to give the claim some credibility.