Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 21:48:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: P6 200 performance

On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> I want to persuade my professor to spend in a P6/200.
> What is the performance gain over a P5/166?
>
> --Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de

I don't have numbers around (I'm not a number person..) but I'd say a
decent P6/200 system is about twice as fast as a P5/166. I base this on
rough SpecINT95/SpecFP95 results I've seen (go to www.intel.com for exact
figures) and on personal experience. I have a P6/200, and I'm still
amazed everyday at how fast the thing is. It's the first PC I've seen that
I would consider a "workstation". I get sub 4 minute kernel builds,
blazing X-Performance, etc.. etc.. I've never been so happy with a
computer!  :-)

FreeBSD 2.2 on a P6/200 is quite simply remarkable performance.

-Mark

| Mark Mayo		mark@quickweb.com |
| C-Soft  	        www.quickweb.com  |
"To iterate is human, to recurse divine."
		- L. Peter Deutsch