Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2000 15:05:22 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Jan Conrad <conrad@th.physik.uni-bonn.de>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: GNOME panel and 3.5-STABLE

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

After some work, it turned out that GNOME works quite flawlessly under 3.5
as well, but only after rebuilding *all* needed libraries (by all I really
mean all libs from the ports involved in the GNOME binaries....)

In practice that means that I had to pkg_delete most part of the installed
ports and rebuild everything, leaving my system in a somewhat semi-stable
state :-)

Which of the libs caused the problems - unfortunately - I cannot tell. I
suspect it might be some of those used by imlib, but thats only a feeling.

In that respect I would like to ask wether there are any plans to improve
the ports system in order to allow for such complete rebuilds:

I think the biggest obstacle is that installed libs dont distinguish
between compile time dependencies and runtime dependencies. What I am
thinking about is something like 'make -DREBUILD_ALL_LIBS' which simply
rebuilds (recursively) all libs a package depends on to the newest version
*without* deleting the runtime dependencies of the installed packages.

I see the point that FreeBSD evolves so quickly that, say every time the
system reaches RELEASE-x.2, one needs to reinstall the whole system
anyhow, but in the present case the system was only four month old. In
addition, I'd say, upgrading FreeBSD itself is very easy, but when you're
part of a inhomogenous environment (where FreeBSD shows its beauties), the
real work comes from maintaining the ports area. I find this especially
true for big, fast evolving things like GNOME.

But anyhow, in general I am very happy with the ports (really :-) and
especially with GNOME.

best regards
	Jan

--
Physikalisches Institut der Universitaet Bonn
Nussallee 12