Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 13:45:37 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@scotty.masternet.it>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installing Linux (was: Sanity regained -- back with the best)

On Sunday, 18 July 1999 at 22:51:32 +0200, Gianmarco Giovannelli wrote:
> At 18/07/99, Brett Glass wrote:
>>
>> Yep, the only one that's better, IMHO, is Debian's; among other
>> things, it lets you bring things in directly from a Web browser
>> (such as Lynx). Speaking of which, what is the status of FreeBSD's
>> new ports/packages system?
>
> Debian ??? I tried to install the 2.1 and I think the dselect front end is
> too much difficult also for an average Unix user...
> They say apt is better , but in the installation I (IT) maked it wasn't ....

I installed Debian from the CDs distributed at USENIX.  It was a
*whole* lot better than UnixWare, but so far everything has been.
Debian upset me by not being able to install X (not even manually).  I
had to go through quite some pain to get it running.  Also, it only
installed a subset of the man pages, though I asked for everything.

I've just completed a backup of the Debian partition, and I'll try
RedHat 5.2 next (5.2 because that's what I got given at the NT UNIX
Conference last week).

Greg