Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 18:57:38 +0400
From:      "Victor Y. Kovalenko" <vikov@cnt.ru>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Out of file descriptors on bootstrap

Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Oct 1999 17:06:37 +0400, "Victor Y. Kovalenko" wrote:
>
> > I have fresh installed FreeBSD 3.2 on x86.
> > The bootstrap looks as usual: kernel initializes devices, has found both
> > SCSI disks and then (it's time to mount partitions, as I guess), I see
> > message
> > .:Out of file descriptors
>
> Looks like you've copied /etc/defaults/rc.conf into /etc . You're not
> supposed to do that, although you'd have to think about it to realize
> that -- there's no documentation explicitly warning you against making
> this mistake.
>
> > Rebuilding kernel with option maxusers up has same effect. It's not
> > clear to me - on that stage FDs needed for what ?
> > How I should solve that problem ?
>
> You need to boot into single-user mode and undo what you did. Hopefully
> you kept a backup of the /etc/rc.conf that you overwrote. :-)
>
> To boot into single-user mode:
>
>         3.1-RELEASE and earlier:
>                 At the boot prompt, type ``-s'' and press enter.
>
>         3.2-RELEASE or later:
>                 At the boot prompt, type ``boot -s'' and press enter.
>
> To mount your filesystems:
>
>         mount -a
>
> Now just restore the backup copy of /etc/rc.conf, which you overwrote.
> If you don't have a backup copy, you have a choice. Either wipe
> /etc/rc.conf out and create a new one from scratch, or delete from it
> the lines below the comment "Allow local configuration override at the
> very end here".
>
> The first option is "better" in terms of eliminating the need to
> hand-edit /etc/rc.conf every time default configuration options in the
> master /etc/defaults/rc.conf are changed. The second option is obviously
> "better" in terms of time required. :-)
>
> Good luck,
> Sheldon.

Thank You very much !
I really had copied whole /etc/defaults/rc.conf to /etc/rc.conf and made
changes to meet my system specific in /etc/rc.conf. I stayed on 2.x line
too long ;-)
I'll check it tommorow, but I think You are totally right.
Victor Y. Kovalenko,
Network Administrator,
nic-hdl: VYK9-RIPE,
E-Mail: vikov@cnt.ru