Date:      Thu, 08 Aug 1996 09:46:46 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
Cc:        Mark Powell <mark@plato.ucsalf.ac.uk>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux async vs. FreeBSD sync

: The FFS careful synchronous does have performance penalties, but I think
: we agree that the data integrity it provides is more important.
:
: FFS also takes pains to write to the disk intelligently leading to better
: recoverability and less fragmentation.

In the last two and half years of using FreeBSD, I've only had one
file system corruption not caused by a flakey disk.  That was when I
shut off the power (by mistake) on my FreeBSD box while doing an
import of linux sources into a CVS tree I keep here for linux
hacking.  I lost 28 CVS files and had to get them off of tape... :-(.
fsck was happy with the disk, and reported nothing unusual about it on
the reboot, which was really odd (yes, it did a full fsck, not just a
simple "its clean" check).

Warner