Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2000 21:54:48 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, security@FreeBSD.ORG, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Subject:   Re: sendmail default run state

On Sat 2000-09-23 (13:41), Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
>     Neil> How do you enable nullclient from rc.conf?
>
> Ship the system with two pre-built sendmail configuration files:
>
>      /etc/mail/sendmail.cf.{full,nullclient}
>
> In rc.conf:
>
>      sendmail_config="full"	# Set to "nullclient" if you want to
> 				# forward all local mail to a central
> 				# mail hub. Set sendmail_smarthost
> 				# to the name of your mail hub.
>      sendmail_smarthost="mail.example.com"
>
> Change the code fragment in /etc/rc where sendmail is started to:
>
>      rm -f /etc/mail/smarthost
>      if [ -n "${sendmail_smarthost} ] ; then
> 	echo "${sendmail_smarthost" > /etc/mail/smarthost
>      fi
>      if [ -r /etc/mail/sendmail.cf.${sendmail_config} ] ; then
> 	echo -n ' sendmail'
> 	/usr/sbin/sendmail ${sendmail_flags} -C/etc/mail/sendmail.cf.${sendmail_config}
>      fi
>
> sendmail.cf.nullclient would have an entry that picked up the smarthost
> from the contents of /etc/mail/smarthost.

Brilliant!  Is that with 'DS-o /etc/mail/smarthost'?

Now, if we could make that 'listen' thing (OOAddr=10.1.1.1) take a file,
we're set.

I'm not so sure about /etc/rc deleting and recreating files in
/etc/mail, though, but that's another issue.

>     Neil> What happens if your smarthost server goes down - when does
>     Neil> sendmail check your queue again?
>
> Whenever you tell it to via the -q parameter. E.g.:
>
>     /usr/sbin/sendmail -q20m

Yeah - I was commenting on why you want sendmail running with queue
running.

> It's not that hard. In fact there are quite a few things we could do
> to allow for things like a SUBMIT only configuration (listen to port
> 587, but not port 25), etc. The problem is they would be very specific
> to sendmail.

I don't use sendmail for "mail servers" personally, but it makes sense
if they're standalone machines that just need to send mail from the
machine to a central server.  If we can offer this ability in the base
system and easy-to-use from rc.conf, that's cool.  More complex stuff
requires direct sendmail configuration, or installing another MTA.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
Sunesi Clinical Systems