Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 2010 15:22:33 +0100
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        Programmer In Training <pit@joseph-a-nagy-jr.us>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How Fetchmail made me a spammer

Programmer In Training <pit@joseph-a-nagy-jr.us> writes:
> Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav <des@des.no> writes:
> > None of this would have happened if you were using IMAP instead of POP.
> A possible solution, but who likes IMAP?

Pretty much anyone who likes software that works properly and protocols
that help rather than hinder the software's efforts to not royally f**k
up your mailbox.

> I much prefer POP3 and having the mail locally (I delete it from the
> server once it's copied).

You can do that with IMAP as well.

> Also, it seems as if he's downloading it from the other users (the
> person who sent the email) mail server and there is no way to force the
> other mail server to use one standard over another (although in this
> case a useless thought).

Who doesn't support IMAP these days?

> The problem is it was not able to get into the local mail queue
> because of certain default settings (which at one time probably made
> sense).

No, the problem was that it was processed multiple times.  This could
have been avoided with IMAP.

> This problem would have occurred if he were using IMAP or POP3
> since it never made it into his mail servers queue. This was bouncing
> between his server and the original sender's server.

No, read the OP again.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no