Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 15:01:33 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Jason Alan Nordwick <nordwick@scheme.XCF.Berkeley.EDU>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shared object initializers

On Fri, Mar 20, 1998 at 12:38:43AM -0000, Jason Alan Nordwick wrote:

> Is there a way to have an initializer for a shared object that is called
> upon link/load, before main() is called ?

As far as I know - no.  However, from looking at the source it looks
like a symbol called ".init" (preferred) or "__init" (if .init doesn't
exist) will be called before the shared object is considered
initialized.

> More generally, is there somewhere I can read more information about
> link/load ? I tried link(5), rtld(1), and ld(1).

That information is mostly available only from the archives of
-hackers.

If you have an interest in this, a very good project owuld be writing
a tutorial or handbook section for this.  If you take notes as you go,
I can help you with sewing it all together and answering questions.
(Don't expect really large amounts of my time, but the knowledge is
freely available :-)

Eivind.