Date:      Fri, 11 Dec 1998 07:22:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Wadlow <wadlow@pilot.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   A problem with SCSI

I built a system on 3.0-RELEASE, with a SCSI disk.  The system works fine, except that
occasionally, the da driver says: "Invalidating pack", and drops the disk offline and
everything hangs.  This is unfortunate.

Reading through the code, there seemed to have been a bunch of changes made recently
to the sys/cam/scsi/scsi_da.c code (among others) that deal with invalidating packs.
Seeing this, I upgraded my /sys to 3.0-CURRENT last night, rebuilt the kernel and
rebooted.  This morning I woke to a crashed system and an "Invalidating pack" message
on the console.

Thus far, I've built 3 different SCSI systems from 3.0-RELEASE, and two of them have had
this problem, with the third complaining about da related issues, but not dying.  The
third machine is a system that ran the 3.0-mumble-SNAP release from the CD for months
without problem.  So I don't think it is a hardware problem.

What can I do to fix or workaround this problem?  A quick answer would be appreciated,
as the system which is crashing is one that I *really* need to be stable, and I'd rather
not have to downrev to 2.2.x, which I'm going to need to do very soon, like today,
if I can't get this issue stabilized.  Thanks, --Tom