Date:      Wed, 28 May 2014 00:04:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Where are utf8-capable fonts?

I looked in my fonts directories and /usr/ports/x11-fonts/ and couldn't find anything identifiable as utf8-capable.

What brings this up is all those annoying funny apostrophes that show as

i�\200\231m currently running into problem when trying to �\200\234make install�\200\235 qmail with the following options en

I use mutt on uxterm, which I thought supported utf8.  Do I need gnome-terminal?  But that will do no better if the needed font isn't there.  I tried mlterm some time back, but that proved unworkable as mutt always showed a blank screen, running invisibly, using foreground color same as background color.

When I built xorg on FreeBSD-current, I didn't remove/reject any fonts offered in the dialog4ports screens.

When I send email, I always use plain regular apostrophes (ASCII 39) and quotes (ASCII 34).

I tried
ls -lR /usr/local/libX11/fonts/ | grep "utf"
also for "UTF" and even "en_US"
and got nothing.

I am also curious if there are any utf8 fonts availoable for text console (syscons or newcons, but mainly newcons).

Tom