Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 2003 10:12:23 +0100
From:      Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn@ant.uni-bremen.de>
To:        Per olof Ljungmark <peo@intersonic.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gs not found, scripts failing

Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
> Heinrich Rebehn wrote:
>
>> Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
>>
>>> I'm having problems with scripts involvivng Ghostscript on FreeBSD
>>> (4.6-4.7).
>>> Specifically, I am implementing a Hylafax solution and most of it
>>> works but there a two areas that fail:
>>> 1. Running the SambaFax (http://www.purpel3.com/sambafax/) utility
>>> that extracts a fax number from a postscript file
>>>
>>> 2. Using the "faxrcvd" script that comes with Hylafax converting
>>> incoming faxes to pdf's.
>>>
>>> In both cases the scripts seems to fail when tiff2ps, ps2pdf etc. are
>>> being executed.
>>>
>>> Running the scripts manually from the shell works.
>>

>> seems like /usr/local/bin (this is where gs lives) is not in the PATH
>> when your scripts are executed. Try to set the PATH env variable in
>> the script, i.e.
>>
>> PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
>> export PATH
>>
>> (Syntax is for Bourne shell)
>

> Thanks for the advice.
>
> Since my original post I have concluded that the two problems are
> similar but not identical and concentrated on (2.).
>
>  From what I can see all seach paths are added in the script. Also I
> should have added earlier that a pdf file IS produced but with zero byte
> lenght.
>
> This is when the script is called from Hylafax server. Again, when run
> from the command line, faxrcvd works and the pdf is ok.
>
> This has led me to believe that the problem is the location of the
> temporary files used to produce the pdf.
>
> I have tried adding "#!/bin/sh -xv" but this only works from the command
> line. How can I pipe the debugging output from a scrpt to a file?

You can use 'sh -xv scriptfile 2>debugoutput'.

Also you cat put '#!/bin/sh -xv' at the start of your script, so debugging is
also enabled, if the script is executed as a command. You can have the debug
output sent to a file with:
exec 2>debugoutput

BTW, the zero length pdf file suggests that gs cannot find or open some files
(different user / persmission?). As a last resort your script could call gs with:
	strace -f -e trace=file -o traceoutput gs

which will show you all file operations gs has attempted.

Heinrich