Date:      Thu, 7 Nov 2002 18:40:56 +1030
From:      "Paul A. Hoadley" <paulh@logicsquad.net>
To:        RJ45 <rj45@slacknet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with ppp from 4.7-STABLE

Hello,

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 02:51:38PM -0700, RJ45 wrote:

> I have a problem with ppp, at least 2 other person reported this
> same problem in freebsd-questions.
>
> ppp hangs after a few days of running.

[Warning: this isn't much more than a "me too!"]

I first noticed this using "ppp -ddial" back as far as probably 3.4-R.
The problem is that it occurs _so_ infrequently (the interval on my
machine is more like weeks than days) that it's hard to even replicate
the problem, let alone gather data on it when it occurs.

As an interim solution, Aaron Hill and I have been using this script
he wrote for a couple of years:

http://logicsquad.net/freebsd/pingmonitor-how-to.html

It's not rocket science -- it just pings the next hop on your link --
but it's been working for us for quite a while.

--
Paul.

mailto:paulh@logicsquad.net
mailto:paul.hoadley@student.adelaide.edu.au