Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 23:37:01 -0500
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        Matthew Thyer <thyerm@camtech.net.au>
Cc:        Andreas Braukmann <braukmann@tse-online.de>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'fatal trap 12' on boot (smp and up)

On Apr 04, 1998 at 11:07:15AM +0930, Matthew Thyer wrote:
> I also get the same crash if *and only if* I boot FreeBSD using
> FBSDBOOT.EXE from DOS (I have multiple OS's on my disk).

Okay, that makes sense.  The startup code tries making some INTn
calls to size memory.  If DOS happens to hook the interrupt vector,
then the INTn call will try to jump to what it thinks is a DOS
routine in low memory, which fails.

Hmm.  I'm not sure what the best solution for this is.

> The answer for me was to re-install my normal bootblock 'BootEasy'
> which had been lost when I recently re-installed Windows 95.

That works, since it doesn't patch the real-mode interrupt vectors.

> I found that I could successfully boot my kernel built from CTM
> src-cur 3287 sources  (~Mar 22 which *does* include options VM86).

I put the new changes in on Mar 23rd...
--
Jonathan