Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 1996 15:34:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        randyd@nconnect.net (Randy DuCharme)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org (freeq)
Subject:   Re: C / C++ Programming in FreeBSD

Randy DuCharme wrote...
[...]
> trying to port some of the apps I've created to freeBSD.  Since day 1 of
> my programming I've used integrated development environments such as,
> Borland's IDE and Microsoft's Visual C++.  I'm wondering if there's
> anything similar to these for BSD?  What are the preferred methods
> (environments) of veteran UNIX programmers?

In order of preference:
1.	emacs
2.	emacs
3.	emacs :-)

I don't know if you have X running, but if you do, xemacs has a nice
syntax formatting mode (which happens to C programs by default) which is
very reminiscent of the Borland IDE syntax formatter.

Having said this, I've never really got used to emacs, I still use vi as
my editor.  I've set up an X environment using 'xfm', 'vi' and 'xxgdb'
which gives me 'drag and drop' access to editors, debuggers and 'make'.
Although it tends to create a lot of windows, I find it very comfortable.

John

--
Beavis and Butt-Head;  Vladimir and Estragon for the '90s.

finger jbrann@panix.com for pgp public key