Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 2014 09:01:18 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Beeblebrox <zaphod@berentweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Automount in LXDE or Xfce

On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 08:46:25 -0700 (PDT), Beeblebrox wrote:
> > Can anyone maybe share a _working_ configuration example?
>
> You have two choices for daemon: hald or devd. As you are aware, hald is
> linux-based and devd is native FreeBSD, but still somewhat experimental.
> Your choice as to which one (and why) will be preferred.

I know that HAL is already deprecated in Linux world in favour
of udev, upower et al. and doesn't fully work in FreeBSD. At
the time it will work perfectly, nobody will be using it, like
APM. :-)

The desktop per se does _not_ matter, be it Xfce (which is
missing icons and cannot shutdown the system), LXDE (which
can shutdown the system) or even Gnome. If someone told me
that it works in KDE (and KDE has German language support),
I would use that. (Probably Gnome will add useful things
like WLAN configuration and battery status display).

Probably going with Gnome (gdm and maybe Gnome desktop)
seems the way to go. I just hope to get all the moving parts
(HAL configuration, PolicyKit and who knows what, maybe
even OS-side permissions) running properly.

I also know that devd can be used for automounting (with amd),
but that probably won't integrate with a desktop environment
mentioned, because those are Linux-centric and rely on HAL
and DBUS, and don't care for what's working in FreeBSD:
Furthermore, automounting is noting new. FreeBSD and KDE and
Gnome, and even XFCE (capitals, means version 3!) could do
that. In fact, on my old emergency workstation (P2, 300 MHz)
FreeBSD 5.1 with XFCE does everything fine. So I think I'm
not asking for something entirely impossible. :-)

To reply to your last line: I will prefer whatever will work. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany