Date:      Thu, 11 May 1995 16:11:26 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@cs.weber.edu>
Cc:        nc@ai.net, Arjan.deVet@nl.cis.philips.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, Guido.VanRooij@nl.cis.philips.com
Subject:   Re: Apache + FreeBSD 2.0 benchmark results (fwd)

On Tue, 9 May 1995, Terry Lambert wrote:

> >     BTW, the multithreaded server I've got running on my FreeBSD box
> > probably isn't truly "multithreaded" (it uses select() to handle
> > multiple connections with a single process).  What should this be
> > called?  A multiheaded server?
>
> That's a 2 letter difference!  Any you were worried about a 4 letter
> difference on "pre-forking"  8-)  8-).

    No, no... I don't have any qualms using "pre-forking" or
"spawn-ahead" or "born-again" or "raised-from-the-dead" or whatever
you want to call it.  ;-)  I used the term "demand forking" to
describe the way older httpd's spawned a new process for each
connection.  I suppose if no one took exception to that term, it must
be okay.  :)

> A select-based threading is an I/O Dispatch model, since each time data
> is available it gets dispatched.  This is close to a voluntary context
> switch threading model (which is what Windows prior to Win95 used).

    Is this how ircd handles multiple connections?  I haven't looked
at the IRC server source, but it appears to be a prime example of a
single process juggling dozens or even hundreds of client connections.
Perhaps a new httpd could be modelled on IRC.  *shudder*  :)

    Anyhow... back to the unreleased httpd... does "select()-based
uniprocess" server fit?  Or am I just bastardizing CS terms?  :)
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org