Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 00:16:55 -0800
From:      The Mad Scientist <madscientist@thegrid.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Riddle me this

At 08:55 PM 1/26/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Jan 26 15:23:49 victim natd[125]: failed to write packet back (No route to
>host)
>
>Maybe I'm just dense this evening and the cause of the message is obvious, but
>I can't figure out what would have generated this message. The system has a
>static default route to the upstream ISP's router.
>
>Is this a side effect of the rules I added? Or of something else?
>
>--Brett Glass

This is an entirely different issue AFAIK.  If you see some correlation,
change the rules to
00049 deny log ip from 224.0.0.0/4 to any via any
00050 deny log ip from any to 224.0.0.0/4 via any
and see if you get any messages in syslog just before the failure messages.

Natd on my router has gone out to lunch like this a few times in the year
or so that I have been running.  I am not sure what caused it -- possibly
me hammering the connection (and my poor no-math-coprocesser-having 486
firewall) or my upstream router deciding that it didn't like my traffic for
a while.  I have an inkling that it was Pac Bell's routers, but I can not
confirm that.  I'm waiting for it to do that again, so I can truss natd or
test the connection on my windows machine.

At any rate, I like logging on most of my deny rules.  You see all kinds of
neat stuff even on a home DSL connection.

-Dean