Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 1999 23:54:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Something weird happening w/ SMP -current

:    interrupts such as clk and rtc continue to work just fine.
:
:    When the interrupts stop, dd is stuck in a disk-wait state.  I'm sure it
:    isn't the SCSI bus:  I've got three SCSI busses and it occurs on all three.
:    Plus it does not occur on a UP kernel, only an SMP kernel.
:
:    If I run an endless loop in another window (e.g. systat shows 50% idle
:    on the 2x SMP box), the interrupts appear to work for longer periods of
:    time before crapping out.
:
:    It is very weird.  I have no idea what is going on.
:
:						-Matt
:

    Here's some more info.  If the dd is stuck and systat -vm 1 is showing
    no interrupts occuring on, for example, ahc2 (irq17), and I then do
    something that causes an interrupt to occur on mux (irq19), which I
    guess is ahc1, ahc2 then starts working... until it gets stuck again,
    that is.  I can also get ahc2 going again by issuing another dd on ahc2.

    For example:

	dd if=/dev/rda1d bs=32k of=/dev/null
		... let this one run ...
		... it gets stuck ...
	dd if=/dev/rda1d bs=32k of=/dev/null count=1
		... this unsticks the first dd ...
		... the first dd runs again ...
		... the first dd gets stuck again ...
		repeat...

    All I can think of is that something is causing the system to lose an
    occassional interrupt.  There's a race condition somewhere.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>