Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2006 23:49:43 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?B?VsOhY2xhdiBIYWlzbWFu?= <V.Haisman@sh.cvut.cz>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   negative runtime etc., the story continues

--------------enig58A2BE307BE3420FD821C800

Hi,
I wrote about how FreeBSD 6.1 RC1, with latest RELENG_6 kernel, prints lo=
of "calcru: runtime went backwards..." and "calcru: negative runtime..."
messages when the FreeBSD runs as virtual server under Microsoft Virtual
Server 2006 R2. When I wrote this I was compiling and installing lots of
packages, setting up the OS. Now that it is idle I have noticed one quite=
 bad
thing. Any process that sleeps on timer or sleep() call will wake up much=

later than it should. For example, when I start top there should be two
seconds delay between updates of the screen. It takes up to 20 seconds! B=
ut
when there is compilation running or something else CPU intensive, the ti=
mer
seems to work fine.

I even tried setting different kern.timecounter.hardware (TSC, ACPI-safe,=

i8254) and kern.hz (to lower than the default 1000) but that did not help=
 a bit.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of the calcru messages apart from
reinstalling to real hardware?

--
Vaclav Haisman