Date:      Mon, 2 Aug 1999 16:48:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Thomas Mullaney <thomas@pepperell.net>, Charles Randall <crandall@matchlogic.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: ssh/ssh2

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Doug wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Thomas Mullaney wrote:
>
> > If I were to use it in a commercial enviroment I would purchase a license.
> > What dubious design features does it have?
>
> 	You can search the archives for this list and bugtraq to get a
> better idea. Put another way, ssh version 1 is well tested and free,
> whereas version 2 is less well tested, new, costs money to use, and has no
> features that version 1 doesn't have. So, why use version 2?

Version 1 uses the RSA encryption algorithm, which isn't free for
commercial use within the US.  So unless you either aren't worried about
that issue, or have an RSA license (I'd imagine the commercial SSH
implementations are licensed), you're forced to go with SSH2 for
commercial use within the US.  Fortunately, the issue will be moot in
just over a year.