Date:      Mon, 08 Sep 1997 23:35:32 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nfs startup - perhaps it is a problem

> On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, Brian Somers wrote:
>
> > This has to be a dumb question, but I can't fathom it.
> >
> > /etc/rc sources /etc/rc.network and then runs network_pass1.
> > Directly afterwards, it runs ``mount -a -t nfs''.
> >
> > However, network_pass3 (invoked much later) starts nfsiod along with
> > the other nfs stuff.
> >
> > How is the ``mount -a -t nfs'' supposed to work ?
>
> nfsiod is more of a helper daemon for nfs; it'll still work without it.
> mount -a -t nfs will mount all filesystems of type nfs; this is probably
> necessary for diskless boots.

The problem was that mount couldn't resolve the host names from
fstab.  This brings up two things:

1.  Why is "mount -a -t nfs" redirected to /dev/null ?  It seems
    happy if there are no nfs filesystems in fstab, so wouldn't it be
    better if we see any such errors ?

2.  Should named be done in pass 1, or is it done this way because
    your named config files may be on an nfs drive ;-/

The whole thing is worked around nicely by putting a nameserver in
resolv.conf or by reading /etc/hosts first and putting all your "close
friends" in there.  I think 1. should be done at least.

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;