Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 10:40:16 -0500
From:      Chanandler Boing <sysadmin@futuresoft.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DNS pulling records from other DNS

Hello,

I'm using the Name Server on our FreeBSD 4.0 machine.  It will be an
Internet server, so I've put very few DNS records on it (just the web
server, mail, etc. because this machine will eventually be accessable from
the Internet.)  Another server, the Intranet DNS (sadly, a Microsquash NT
4.0 server running DNS and WINS), has complete records for all the machines
in our network.

The problem is, when I run nslookup to the FreeBSD Internet server and
query names that are not on the it (just on the Intranet server), it gives
the intranet record.  For example:

  nslookup internal-client.mydomain.com x.x.x.4
  DNS request timed out.
      timeout was 2 seconds.
  *** Can't find server name for address x.x.x.x: Timed out
  *** Default servers are not available
  Server:  UnKnown
  Address:  x.x.x.4

  Name:    internal-client.mydomain.com
  Address:  x.x.x.204

(I've changed the domain name and IP addresses for this email.)

Please, does anyone have any idea what is going wrong with my Internet
FreeBSD Name Server?