Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 1996 11:22:44 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        kng@hk.llinkage.net (Kwing Ng)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem of Install FreeBSD 2.1!

> I am using ASUS PCI/I-P54NP4D motherbord with one Pentium-100 CPU, I have
> 32M ram on board and using ASUS PCI-V264CT (ATI Mach 64 chip) with 2M ram
> I try to install FreeBSD 2.1, after I use the boot floppy boot-up, the
> FreeBSD detect Intel Pentium-100 CPU, then the screen become BLANK, I cannot
> read anything, but my system is not hang, as I can type something and also
> can switch NUM, CAP.
> I also change the PCI-V264CT to an ISA Trident-8900D VGA card, and
> everything OK!
> Is there any bug of FreeBSD with ATI Mach 64 or something?
> How to solve this problem?

The video card you are using illegally (IMO) uses the com3 address range.

The SIO probe will probe all devices or none.  When it probes the COM3:
address range, your card is clobbered (it's nose gets cut off because
it is sticking where it does not belong).

You should boot "-c" and disable the SIO probe.

When you have installed and come up correctly, you will need to rebuild
a kernel that either has SIO3 ripped out of the array, or has no com port
drivers.

The process to rip com3 out of the array is described in the -questions
list archive on www.freebsd.org.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---