Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2006 16:37:09 +0300
From:      "Ivan \"Rambius\" Ivanov" <rambiusparkisanius@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Calling setxkbmap when starting X

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

> I think what you're looking for is xinit(1).  My own:
>
> $ cat ~/.xinitrc
> #!/bin/sh
> xmodmap .xmodmaprc
> xsetroot -solid dimgray
> xgamma -gamma 0.8
> exec /usr/X11R6/bin/gnome-session

I forgot to explain that I do not start X manually with startx
command. It is started on boot time by adding the following line in
/etc/ttys:

ttyv8   "/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on  secure

I think that in this case ~/.xinitrc is not called.

> Note also you can also define keyboard settings in rc.conf:
>
> $ grep keymap /etc/rc.conf
> keymap="us.iso.kbd.custom"
>
> My own custom keymap is a quick hack to swap the Caps_Lock key with
> Escape for non-X uses (something that only vi users would appreciate).
>
> Alternatively, KDE, like Gnome, etc. most likely offers a mechanism to
> execute scripts at startup, but I'd advise against that approach.
I googled a little bit about localizing FreeBSD and found that one can
configure it in  xorg.conf. In my case I add the following setting in
the Keyboard section:

        Option      "XkbLayout"    "us,bg"
        Option      "XkbOptions"   "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
        Option      "XkbVariant"   ",phonetic"

Regards
Ivan

--