Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 1997 08:16:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      garman@phs.k12.ar.us
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   kern/2695: sio1 (16540 serial port) is not recognized by GENERIC boot kernel

>Number:         2695
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       sio1 (16540 serial port) is not recognized by GENERIC boot kernel
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
The internal modem on my machine (on sio1) is recognized fine by
2.1.x kernels, but when booting 2.2 (any version i've tried) the boot
messages report that it can't be found.

I turned on verbose probe using flags 0x80 and it tells me:

sio1: probe test 5 failed
sio1: probe test 6 failed
sio1 not found at 0x2f8

My working 2.1.6.1-RELEASE kernel reports:

sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16450
>How-To-Repeat:
boot a 2.2-gamma kernel with my modem installed on com2 :-)
>Fix:
not enough delay to allow the modem to respond to probes, perhaps?