Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 16:21:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Andrew Reilly <areilly@bigpond.net.au>, "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ** HEADS UP ** portmap daemon renamed to rpcbind

> I do not.  -v could easily be added to what is now rpcbind (even if it
> was ignored).  -d mean the same thing for both.  there's then no reason
> to change its name.

Well, my feeling on the matter, since everyone gets to have an opinion
today, is that we should stick with rpcbind: it's what everyone else who
uses TIRPC calls it (as well as the entire source code tree).  Given that
it's not going to be MFC'd to RELENG_4, and everything in the universe is
changing in -CURRENT, this minor change to improve our compliance with
${THERESTOFTHEWORLD} isn't a big problem. However, for consistency, it
probably is the case that someone should go slap s/portmap/rpcbind/
s/PORTMAP/RPCBIND/ strategically through /etc and associated man pages.
Maybe adding a compatibility check that maps PORTMAP into RPCBIND, and
then prints a message on boot in the style of nsswitch.