Date:      Mon, 02 May 2005 11:48:28 -0400
From:      "Bill Schmitt (SW)" <software@schmittnet.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   hostname problem on a local network

I have a FreeBSD 4.9 system on a private network, connected to the
internet through a Netgear router/firewall which acts as a DHCP server
and receives its names through netbios. I'm trying to set it to respond
to the fully qualified name "schfrbsd.lan". In my rc.conf, I have the line:

hostname="schfrbsd.lan"

I've also tried adding a dot to the end of it:

hostname="schfrbsd.lan."

Whatever I do, I cannot get the machine to register itself on the
network (though Samba) as schfrbsd.lan. It always shows up as schfrbsd.
"hostname -s" returns the same value.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Bill