Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 00:32:41 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Brian Raynes" <brian_raynes@dnr.state.ak.us>, <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: [dn-core] Re: Perens' "Free Software Leaders Stand Together"

Greg, your just throwing out rediculous statements like this to
create your own FUD and to be rediculous.  Let me refer you to the
following URL:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-not-lgpl.html

And here are some statements from this:

 "At least one application program is free software today specifically
because that was necessary for using Readline."

(their definition of "free software" is GPL-licensed software)

"This will be a significant advantage for further free software
 development, and some projects will decide to make software free in
 order to use these libraries. University projects can easily be
 influenced; nowadays, as companies begin to consider making software
 free, even some commercial projects can be influenced in this way"

Once again, here the emphasis is on influencing the software to be
GPL-licensed.

"because we can achieve much more if we stand together. We free
 software developers should support one another. By releasing
 libraries that are limited to free software only, we can help..."

Once again, his definition of the "free software developers" is very
 tight.  It's defining the GPL-software developers, NOT the BSD
license developers.

Well, sorry, but I think that the BSD license is really what's all
 about freedom here, not the GPL.  What the GPL is all about is
 forcing your idea of redistribution into other people's code, that is
 NOT freedom.  Sure, they can choose to NOT use GPL - but like the
 document says, the aim is to get the GPL software so advanced and
 functional that even commercial software entities have no competitive
 choice other than to use GPL code.

This is the point that I made earlier, it's the point that the GNU
 project makes in it's own writings.  How many people need to sit here
 and bash this idea into your head until you get it?

>You're about the only person talking about "contamination".  I wish
>you'd stop.  You're just helping polarize the community, something the
>rest of us are working against.

People like Bruce Perens are the ones working to polarize the Open
Source community by shutting out BSD from press releases and important
documents which we should be a part of, as well as by passing
themselves off to the (generally ignorant) media as the "Free
Software" community, when in reality they are NOT the entire "Free
Software" community, just a subgroup.  I'm the one jumping up and
yelling "bullshit" and calling them out on the carpet over this.
Sorry, but the polarization already existed, I'm not the one
creating it, I'm just pointing out that it exists.

If my bitching about it will make Bruce include BSD people next time,
then I will have done far more to unite the Open Source community than
anything that it appears that anyone else has done so far.

>Let me give a counterexample.  This polarization is not to our
>advantage.  It's not to the GPL community's advantage either.

Um, well if that is the case then why didn't Bruce include us?  And,
frankly if the GPL leaders want to exclude BSD then, actually, it will
help us, because it will enable us to independently identify ourselves
instead of being labeled as "They are just more of those Linux guys"

>About
>the only group who could benefit by increased polarization in the >free
>software community is Microsoft.

Actually, they would benefit more by us being lumped together with
Linux.

If your engaged in a massive PR campaign against a competitor,
like Microsoft is with GPL, then it is in your interest if you are
successfully able to propagandize the market that your competitor is
just one drop in an ocean of competitors.  It makes it easier for
the uninformed to simply dismiss Open Source (ie: Linux, get the
picture) as just another Microsoft wannabe, that will be taken down
eventually by Redmond, the same way that IBM, Novell, Netscape, and
all of the rest of the Microsoft competitors have been.

The last thing you want to have happen is for the market that your
attempting to propagandize to get the idea that you are fighting a
tidal wave of a LOT of competitors who have all signed on to the
same idea - one that is different than yours.

>I note a surprising
>Microsoft-centricity in your messages, including typical format
>breakage and a lack of trimming which ill befits an author.  Are you
>maybe working in Microsoft's interests?

Greg, I hate to descend to this muck slinging level, but you started
it.  In answer to your question: No, and actually if you ever read
Chapter 10 in my book which obviously you haven't, you would know
I'm completely opposed to Microsoft.  Publically.  In
fact, I made the statement in the Preface:

"My goal is to see FreeBSD replace Windows, not coexist with it
 forever"

In Chapter 10, on page 381, I liken Microsoft to the Dark Lord out of
 Tolkien's Lord of the Rings

Also, on page 383 when discussing the Anti-Trust trial, I state that
Microsoft committed a crime.  Note that that trial is still pending -
there is not a final finding of criminal activity at this time.
That's pretty much going out on a limb, don't you think?  Legally
Microsoft could sue me to make a retraction.

I'll say this: my book stays with me the rest of my life.  Do you ever
think I'll ever get a job at Microsoft?

In contrast, is there anywhere in The Complete FreeBSD where YOU state
that Microsoft is inferior and should be replaced, or that the
company  is criminal, or that it's like Sauron?  Hmmm... maybe I
should be giving YOU the "working in Microsoft's interests" Senator
McCarthy loyalty pledge to sign.  Now, do you want to keep slinging
muck or can we get back to reasonable discussion?

Greg, when Bruce Perens wrote his "stand together" document, he
was making a big mistake; it's an egotistical kind of idea that "Hey,
I'm so important that Microsoft is actually talking to ME"

In reality, Greg Mundie, and Steve Ballmer and the rest of the major
Microsoft executives, when they make speeches against Linux and
Open Source, they are NOT addressing us, they are addressing all
of the Windows administrators who are out there wondering "Gee,
what's that Linux stuff all about, maybe I should check into it".
Incidentally, this is the SAME market that MY book addresses.  What
is going on is that Microsoft knows that anyone who has really spent
some time trying out FreeBSD, or Linux, or any other Open Source
OS, well that administrator is a lost cause.  They are never going to
get him or her back into the fold.

What they want to do is give the admins who have NEVER tried any
Open Source some excuses to use to make themselves feel that it's an
OK decision to NOT look into Linux or FreeBSD.  In short, Microsoft
knows that they STILL have 80% buyoff on what they are doing, and
they want to keep the 80% from shrinking.  They aren't dumb enough
to think that they can actually compete directly with Open Source,
and grab any of that 20% that is out of the boat.  Instead, they
just want to keep the 80% that are in the boat, in the boat!

If every Open Source project in the world immediately relicensed
under GPL, then Microsoft would just say that GPL is a passing
fad, and dismiss the entire lot of us.  It would make their job
so much easier to fight a war against ONE enemy.

By contrast,

as more and more DIFFERENT groups adopt DIFFERENT licensing, and even
stand independent of each other, all under the banner of Open
Source, it's much harder to fight something like that.  For example,
you argue against GPL's  intellectual property clause, well guess
what, you can't turn right around and at the same time contradict
yourself and say that BSD, which has no intellectual property
problems, is bad too. But, then if you say BSD is good, and GPL is
bad, well by golly guess what - BSD happens to use some GPL in there
too (the complier) so what's that all about?

It's like building a dam out of sticks.  You can get a bunch of sticks
and dump them in the river, and the dam will hold even if some sticks
have weaknesses.  But, if you go and throw a single, big tree into the
river to create a dam, if there is ONE weakness in that tree, the dam
will break. Bruce Perens and the rest of the signatories see the GPL
as the big tree in the river, and they want the rest of us to buy off
on this.  Well, frankly I don't trust them to fight off Microsoft
for us, and I think they have pretty big egos if they  think that they
can.  Besides that, they have made it pretty clear that as long as
we subscribe to the BSD license, we are pretty much on our own
in a fight with Microsoft.  They don't want to come to us, they
want us to come to them and the GPL.