Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 12:13:51 +0200
From:      veedee@c7.campus.utcluj.ro
To:        cperciva@sfu.ca
Cc:        Tobias Roth <roth@iamexwi.unibe.ch>, Stefan Probst <stefan.probst@opticom.v-nam.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spoofing file information?

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 08:39:41AM +0000, Colin Percival wrote:
> At 09:24 15/11/2001 +0100, Tobias Roth wrote:
> >So, if you use md5 to compare files, there are those two critera for being
> >sure the your files haven't been tampered with:
> >
> >1. the md5 binary is has not been modified
> >2. the checksums you made and to which you are comparing haven't been modified
>
> Don't forget
> 3. you're running a kernel which is polite enough to pass the file to md5
> intact
>
>    A compromised kernel can do anything it pleases, including keeping the
> original copies of files around and passing them to any integrity-checking
> code.
>    I remember there were some viruses (back in the MS-DOS days) which
> operated in this manner.
  I know, I wrote some of them ;)

  I'm just taking a wild guess here, but aren't some of you guys getting a
little bit paranoid? Next thing you're gonna advise Stefan is that someone
flashed some EEPROMs from his hardware that contain some code that activates
when blahblah, or simply say "just change the whole fucking thing (eg
server)".
  I know that you can never be 100% sure of something, but one should also
take in account the fact that *maybe* his servers are not that important for a
hacker, because they do not contain sensitive data *that important* for a
certain person so he would have to write all those nasty hacks.

  And Stefan, if you're really sure that those persons were from Romania, I
would take immediate action in tracerouting then e-mailing their ISPs. Some
of us are just so anxieous to catch some of these mf*ckers that have nothing
better to do that play with others lives, and who, imho, do nothing but make
our country really look bad outside our borders.

  I think that what happened to you, happened to some other thousand people
out there. Kids from Romania, having nothing else better to do that hang
around all day in "Internet Caffes", looking for *available* servers out
there that they can exploit and put their damn IRC scripts there. Ah, by the
way, that's what 99% of them do... just install some BNCs or other irc
scripts on the targetted machine, then leave it alone, because there's
nothing really else that they can use it for.

Best regards,
Radu Bogdan Rusu (aka veedee)
C7 Campus Network System Administrator