Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 19:23:33 -0500
From:      Eric Johnson <eric@coding-zone.com>
To:        Matt Edwards <matt.edwards@worldnet.att.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Connecting to My ISP via DSL

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 02:58:56PM -0700, Matt Edwards wrote:
> I am attempting to connect to my ISP using new DSL modem and service.
[snip]

Hmmm... I've never heard of DSL requiring PPP.  All DSL providers I'm
familiar with either give you a static IP address for your external
NIC or use DHCP to assign a dynamic IP address to your external NIC.
I'm also assuming you're trying to make your BSD box into a gateway.

I'm guessing you want to change your rc.conf to have,

ifconfig_tun0="DHCP"
ifconfig_x10="inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
gateway_enable="YES"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_script="/etc/rc.firewall"
firewall_type="open"
firewall_quiet="NO"
natd_program="/sbin/natd"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="tun0"
natd_flags="-f /etc/natd.conf"

This is assuming that the NIC card handled by the tun0 driver is your
external NIC connecting to your DSL modem.  The other NIC (maybe goes
to a hub?) handled by the x10 driver is your internal NIC.

I _think_ (I'm new to FreeBSD also) you need to recompile FreeBSD to
support ipfw/nat, right gurus?

--
Best Regards,
Eric Johnson            (eric@coding-zone.com && http://www.coding-zone.com)

The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
		-- Paul Erlich