Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 21:25:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Adam Turoff <AdamT@smginc.com>
Cc:        hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, Robert Glover <rob@f-body.org>
Subject:   RE: Token Ring for FreeBSD yet?

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Adam Turoff wrote:

> Token Ring is the most expensive, slowest networking protocol on the
> planet(*).  Why wouldn't a slick, fast OS like FreeBSD support it?

  Not so.  Token ring operates at 16mbs or 4mbs.  But anything built in
the last five years is 16mbs, making it faster than ethernet.

  Token is also not a "networking protocol".  It is completely different
network design.  Different cable, different hubs (MAUs), etc.

  I worked on a token-ring network about 4 years ago.  It was the fastest
LAN you could buy at that point.

  ARCNet has to get the award for slowest LAN.  And yes, I'm still
supporting some old ARCNet devices (still much cheaper to embed ARCNet is
controllers and what not for device control).

Tom