Date:      20 Mar 1998 10:16:05 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>
To:        "J.R.S. II" <jrs@Mcs.Net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: remote access solutions

"J.R.S. II" <jrs@Mcs.Net> writes:

> I currently have a few (5) freebsd machines I'm using as servers.  Two
> T-1 lines and a tcp/ip network.  We have a shiva lan rover with 8 ports.
> This was installed about 6 months ago.  I want to install a remote access
> device that will allow 15 to 30 people to dial in and also be expandable
> so if the need for more ever comes upgrading will be easy.  Any
> suggestions would nice.

I like Livingston PortMasters. If all you want is POTS analog lines,
the PM2e-30 does 30 lines. You should also be able to find them used
and maybe discounted now that the PM4 has been released (what a
monster!). If you plan on ISDN or 56K, look into
the PM3.   I support two ISPs with PM2s: they seem very stable,
reliable, and cost effective. One of the ISPs is a complete FreeBSD
shop :-)

I don't like Ascends. I've found the firmware and their RADIUS to be
buggy, with patches released at least weekly. They're expensive. Word
on the net is they can't really handle all their lines at full
speed. I've worked with them here at HQ.

You should probably get hip to RADIUS for authentication. Livingston
is the defacto, Ascend has their version, there are commercial
versions now too, including ones wich will run on (shudder) NT.