Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 16:13:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Dean <bsd@bsdhome.com>
To:        Jack Rusher <jar@integratus.com>
Cc:        "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>, obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Knobs for optional software...

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Jack Rusher wrote:

> > Why isn't a sysinstall knob sufficient to install the
> > LPR of choice? Such a knob seems to work fine for X
> > and the various desktops (KDE, GNOME, WindowMaker)[3].
>
>   I think the knob approach is an excellent way to go.  It seems to me
> that the best installer for most people's needs would:
>
>   o install almost nothing by default
>   o have knobs for nearly everything
>   o have "bundle" packages that group things together
>   o when a user requests a bundle, ask which (say) print system they
> want (query on duplicates)
>
>   We have something like that now with the "User, Developer, Kernel
> Developer, etc" choice for which distributions to drop, so why not do
> the same thing for install packaging?  (I mean, aside from the huge
> amount of work involved).  We would, of course, need a little more
> package metadata to make this anything but a maintenance nightmare, but
> I think some XML and a clever architecture could work out pretty well.

As a person who installs racks of systems at a time, I would ask that
however you improve the interactive user interface to sysinstall, you
preserve the scripting facility that allows us to perform "nearly
hands-off" installs which the current sysinstall currently supports
very well (or, at least, works well enough that I haven't sent in
patches yet :)).  Also, please don't lose the support for doing
installs using the serial console.

While I understand the desire to present a nice interface for
interactive installations, please don't leave the server/cluster users
out in the cold.  For us, _requiring_ a graphical console and
requiring lots of interaction with the installation program would be a
hugangeous step backwards.

-Brian
--
Brian Dean