Date:      Fri, 18 May 2007 18:37:55 -0300
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        Gavin Atkinson <gavin.atkinson@ury.york.ac.uk>, Chris <chrcoluk@gmail.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fast rate of major FreeBSD releases to STABLE

On Thursday 17 May 2007 15:10:06 Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 05:51:07PM +0100, Gavin Atkinson wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 16:30 +0100, Chris wrote:
> > > A more user friendly installer so datacentres stop been put off
> > > FreeBSD.
> >
> > Although work on a new installer is "ongoing", nobody ever seems to be
> > clear what the problems are with the current installer that they are
> > trying to fix. =A0I believe PC-BSD uses a different installer, which is
> > the current candidate, although I personally prefer the current one.
> > I'm guessing a new installer never make everybody happy.
>
> As someone who has had to show many people "how" to use the FreeBSD
> installer, I can confirm what Chris is referring to.

datacenters probably do not use the installer at all but that is another po=
int

further to the points you mentioned already I like to add that the most=20
missing thing is that the installer does not suggest a default disk layout.

Jumping directly into fdisk is where a user aborts and also as mentioned,=20
since disk geometry is not necessary to show at all, first because it is=20
mostly wrong and second who cares. This is not for a standard installer and=
=20
should be an option (if).

a user does not know what fdisk is and what to do (and eventually he does n=
ot=20
even speak nor read english so the options list is what scares him still=20
more)=20

so he is bailing out here and for my understandings this is the most import=
ant=20
point which cause freebsd does not make it to the user's desktop.=20

So a better solution would be to invert the current situation and give a=20
default layout for fdisk AND labels which can be accepted (<OK>) or cancell=
ed=20
and if then jumps into fdsik for advanced users

My personal suggestion is to invert the IP screen and put GW and DNS after =
IP=20
and mask fields what is kind of more usual and logical

=2D-=20

Jo=E3o