Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 1998 12:53:35 +0000
From:      John Kelly <john@nua.ie>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Oh-my, its so difficult to install !

Hello,

I have purchased FreeBSD 2.2.7 along with Greg Lehey's manual. I have at
home on my PC an 8 gig drive partioned with FAT16 into 4 slices. Windows 98
is the main operating system with no 32-bit FAT conversion. I also have a
secondary master disk, 1.7 gigs and this is solely for FreeBSD.

I boot up on the CDROM and install on [x]wd1 and not []wd0, I use the A and
S options i.e. use all the disk and set bootable, I then select the
automatic installation for the labeller program and a few options like
x-windows etc, the installation gets completed and it tries to reboot but
finds no valid disk.

Now because I've tried this on a number of occasions, the bootmanager gives
me this option on startup, F1...DOS F5....DISK2. If i select F1, Windowes
98 boots, if I select F5, the system will hang and the boot manager makes
the wd0 partition inactive and I need to boot off a floppy, run FDISK and
set it back to active again.

Can I get rid of Bootmanager ? Can I just boot on a floppy and run a
Free-Bsd flavour of Autoexec.bat and boot from WD1 ?

I am extremely looking forward to your reply.

 JOHN Kelly ( PS We use Free-BSD for our Servers, Intranet/E-Mail/Internet
etc, here in NUA in Dublin Ireland, it's rock solid. I need to become
familiar with it as I 've just started here and come from a Windows
background )