Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 00:56:45 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        David Banning <david@banning.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: list of recent releases is where?

David Banning wrote:

> Thanks for your reply Kent.
> I reviewed the site you mentioned. What I'm really wondering is this;
>
> In the beginning, we went from tag=RELENG_2_2_0_RELEASE to tag=RELENG_2_2_1_RELEASE
> to tag=RELENG_2_2_2_RELEASE to tag=RELENG_2_2_5_RELEASE to tag=RELENG_2_2_6_RELEASE
> to tag=RELENG_2_2_7_RELEASE etc...
>
> How do we know what number eg (4_2_1 or 4_2_3) we are on at any point in time?

I thought for a couple of minutes on this and then chuckled. I would
probably go to cvsweb.cgi but the release web page is probably just as
good. Check out ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/. You have
to follow the alpha/ or i386/ to see what the choices are. Some of the
releases have EOL'ed and you will only see 3.x and 4.x. The current
and stables, for the most part, only have packages in them. The
releases look like the tree structure setup on a CD.

Kent