Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 13:08:22 -0800
From:      "Bryn Wm. Moslow" <bryn@spacemonster.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DPT 3334UW RAID-5 Slowness / Weird FS problems

I recently installed a DPT 3334UW with 64MB cache in a mail server
running RAID-5 with a 32K stripe on an external case on which the user
mail spool is mounted. The array is comprised of 6 Seagate Ultra Wide
4.5GB SCA drives. The system is a P2 300 with 384MB and uses an
additional Seagate UW drive for boot, /usr, /var, swap, and staff home
directories. It doesn't go into swap often but if it does it only hits
about 5 to 10 MB. The system is running FreeBSD 2.2.8.

My first problem was that I initially tried to do 16K per inode to speed
things up a little bit (also, I didn't need the millions of inodes that
came with a default newfs on 43GB =).) However when trying to mount,
fsck, find, umount, or otherwise manipulate the filesystem about 1 times
out of 5 the system would hang to the point that I had to use the reset
switch to get it back. If I format with the default settings to newfs,
everything works fine. The same hang also occurs if I try to do 16K
block size. I haven't tried anything bigger as I had an extremely tight
window in which to get the machine online.

Does FreeBSD have a problem with non-default fs settings? Has anyone
else tried this sort of thing on such a large filesystem?

I ended up having to use the default settings for newfs to get the
system to work, wasting millions of inodes and bringing me to my next
problem: Under load the filesystem is horribly slow. I expected some of
this with the RAID-5 overhead but it's actually slower than a CCD I just
moved from that was using 5 regular 2GB fast SCSI-2 drives, much slower.
When running ktrace on the processes (qpopper and mail.local mainly) and
watching top I can see that most of the processes are waiting for disk
access. I've tried enabling/disabling various DPT options in the kernel
but it's all about the same. I'd really like to stick with RAID-5 so
using 0 or 1 just isn't what I'm looking for.

The user directories for delivery are broken out into 1st letter, 1st
two letters, username (i.e.: /home/u/us/username) to speed up dir
lookups already. Any suggestions on how else to speed things up? This
wasn't a problem on my old CCD, however.

Lastly, I tried to find another RAID controller besides DPT that was
compatible with FreeBSD 2.2.x with no luck. Upgrading to 3.1 is not an
option at the moment, at least until things are more stable. Is anyone
using anything in a host-based adapter (PCI) that is non-DPT? The only
reason I ask is that I've seen debate recently about whether there is a
problem with the DPT losing interrupts or the FreeBSD serial code is
"broken".

Bryn