Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 17:45:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eugene M. Kim" <astralblue@usa.net>
Subject:   JDK 1.1.6 broken in 3.0-beta/ELF?

Hello,

I was installing JDK 1.1.6 port on a 3.0-beta/ELF machine when I found
that the included ``jre'' would not run, outputting the following
message:

ld.so failed: Undefined symbol "_xmDrawingAreaWidgetClass" in
jre_X:/usr/local/java/lib/i386/green_threads/libawt.so.1.1.6

Jre seems to try to get linked to the Motif shared library while there
is none installed in my system.

This problem does not occur when I use ``java'' instead of jre, or when
DISPLAY environment variable is unset (the latter is obvious).

Do I have to wait for ELF version of JDK 1.1.6?  Since FreeBSD JDK is
distributed in a binary form, there is nothing I can do...

Thanks!

Regards,
Eugene

--
Eugene M. Kim <astralblue@usa.net>

"Is your music unpopular?  Make it popular; make music
which people like, or make people who like your music."