Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 09:18:20 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: missing files with NFSv3 and Solaris2.7 machine...

"David E. Cross" wrote:

> Count me as one of the ones who do not accept this answer.  I realize that

It was not the "answer" which was not accepted. Someone actually
argued it could not be an NFS protocol bug because the Solaris stack
was the reference implementation, ergo it does not have bugs. Are
you party to that line of thought? :-)

> the Sun code may very well have bugs in it.  I also know that what we have
> right now "doesn't work" with sun clients.  I believe that we have made
> modifications to our TCP/IP stack  code to deal with windows machines who
> are not to spec, could we not do the same for sun and NFS?

As I recall, we had two alternatives. First, knowingly not comply to
the spec, because Solaris doesn't handle it. Second, change the way
we read directories so we can avoid doing things in the way Solaris
can't handle. The latter is a very sore spot, and not trivial.

I was under the impression, though, that Matthew Dillon had done
something about it.

> Alternately, we have a sun support contract, and if someone could detail to
> me exactly how they are not compliant I will try to file a bug report.

I think that would be desirable. It's in the archives, of course,
but I cannot recall even on which mailing list, or who originated
the thread. Matthew Dillon was in it, but he is in a lot of threads,
and they tend to be long threads. Better just wait until Dillon
shows up and comment on this.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Thus, over the years my wife and I have physically diverged. While
I have zoomed toward a crusty middle-age, she has instead clung
doggedly to the sweet bloom of youth. Naturally I think this unfair.
Yet, if it was the other way around, I confess I wouldn't be happy
either."