Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 06:26:30 +0200 (SAST)
From:      The Psychotic Viper <psyv@root.org.za>
To:        Gideon <h20soul@mweb.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FBSD box between cisco and clients

Hi,

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Gideon wrote:

> At this moment our network looks like this :
>
> Clients - Cisco Router - Internet
>
> I want to do the following
>
> Clients - FBSD - Cisco - Internet
any more info on connectivity, i.e. any routers,hubs between the fbsd box
and the client machines?

> Every machine above including the clients have public ip's . The reason i
> need to do this is i need to do bandwidth limiting with the freebsd box thus
> the clients must not be able to access the cisco directly . also all the
> machines above must be on one subnet .
Well what I do is setup the FreeBSD box as a firewall to pass out data
from ur internal (translates as client in ur case) network (via NAT). They
can keep their IPs just need their gateway changed. So in essence a
transparent NAT gateway/firewall.

> I was wondering whot will be the best way of doing this ? Also sum
> documentation references would be much appreciated . Also whot software
> should i use for bandwidth capping ? IPFW or ALTQ or ne other ?
as for the rate limiting DUMMYNET works good in my experiences.

PsyV