Date:      Fri, 30 Dec 1994 20:16:57 -0600 (CST)
From:      Peter da Silva <peter@bonkers.taronga.com>
To:        rivers%ponds@ncren.net (Thomas David Rivers)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: uname -a/uname -v broken (or not?)

> The man page claims that uname is  POSIX conforming - can someone check
> IEE Std1003.2 to see if we've broken this....

Wasn't there a big flame war about this, whether scripts should be parsing
this information and whether POSIX required it to be parsable and whether
anyone was doing anyone a favor by encouraging them to depend on the format
of uname -a when it wasn't guaranteed on other platforms and so on?

Was that on the NetBSD list, maybe? I forget.

MHO: uname should be useful as well as POSIX-conforming, and should output
space-separated tokens that do not contain spaces.