Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 14:15:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      lgfausak@august.net (Greg Fausak)
To:        julian@elischer.org, lgfausak@august.net
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BPF usage questions

I am writing my first netgraph nodes.

I need a mux node and a demux node.

For simplicity, the mux node will combine 2 independant
channels and round robin the packets.  The demux node
will simply receive packets on multiple channels and
serialize them.

The purpose is to bond multiple ethernet connections between
two points.  I envision creating 2 udp tunnels and using the
mux node to feed and demux to bring back together.

I haven't built any netgraph code yet.  Can someone give me some
pointers?  I've examined many different sources, some are fairly
complex and some are real simple.  I regard this as a fairly simply node.
Perhaps 3 hooks (upstream, link1, link2).

Once I get it to work in a primitive fashion I would like to
add control features, like:
* only use link2 if packets can't get through link1
* force load balancing based upon theoretical link rates like
  speed, latency.
* calculate load balancing, so dialup, isdn, dsl and t1 can be
  bonded.

I'm looking for a real easy way o get started.
Any practical hints would be appreciated.

Thanks,
---greg
Greg Fausak
August.Net Services, LLC