Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 2002 16:05:10 +1100
From:      "Jan Mikkelsen" <janm@transactionware.com>
To:        "'Maarten de Vries'" <mdv@unsavoury.net>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD on IBM's X335 series

Maarten de Vries wrote:
> - how well does FreeBSD install on IBM's X335 or X300 series
> in general?
> - does it cope well with this many CPU's and this much RAM?
> - how well does Java perform on FBSD (I hear Java will part of the
> basesystem)?
> - how does threading work in FreeBSD? Is there something like
> 'clone' or
> 'sproc'?
>
> Any of your input will be much appreciated.

I understood that the X335 only supported two CPUs.  Are you counting
each CPU twice because of hyperthreading?

I have a client where we're running about a dozen X330s each with 2 x
P3-1.2GHz, 1.5GB (some 2GB) and FBSD 4.5, with the native JDK 1.3.1.  It
works well, but it'll work better with Hotspot (now available, but I
haven't had a chance to try it out).

On FBSD 4, native threading will not take advantage of SMP:  You need to
have multiple processes.

However, having said all this, the X330 and X335 are sufficiently
different that the experience is meaningless for your purposes.  IBM are
now pushing the X335 over the X330, so I'm also interested in hearing
about experiences.

Regards,

Jan Mikkelsen