Date:      Wed, 27 Jul 2011 13:01:50 +0200
From:      Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   legal notices at the end of emails (was: Re: Hi installing on windows dual boot)

On 7/27/11 5:11 PM, perryh@pluto.rain.com wrote:
> Ryan Coleman <editor@d3photography.com> wrote:
>
>> A heads up about your footer: This email goes onto a mailing
>> list that is available via an online archive... your "terms"
>> are violated just by sending an email to this mailing list.
>
> Not necessarily.  It says [emphasis added]:
>
>>> The contents of this eMail ... should not be disclosed
>>> to, ... anyone _other than the intended addressee(s)_ ...
>>> Any _unauthorized_ review ... is strictly prohibited ...
>
> I don't see a problem provided the archived mailing list is
> considered to be among "the intended addressee(s)" and the
> sender is considered, by the act of sending it to an archived
> list, to have authorized the archiving (and implicitly any
> subsequent use of the archive).

All the same, any of you guys ever take this kind of notice seriously ?
I mean, really ?

See, you've actually read the e-mail prior to reading (and thus
accepting or refusing) the "legal" notice.

It's like me sending you an e-mail, with a footer saying "By reading
this e-mail you hereby forfeit all of your fortune, properties and
claims in favor of Pwnd LTD, who shall be the sole and universal
beneficiary, and has just done you good.".

Just because they appear in an e-mail and you've read that e-mail
doesn't mean you've acknowledged said terms, let alone accepted them.

I for one, on principle, decline to abide by such terms, which may in no
case be enforced on me, seeing I never accepted them in the first place.

One would have to get my consent to abide by their legal notice THEN
send me the actual contents.

Now, that would work.
Then again, on principle I would decline said terms so they couldn't
send me whatever they wanted...

Discuss ?