Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 09:04:51 -0600
From:      mike <mike@coloradosurf.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   a couple boxes getting hammered with ip frags

Hi all,

Sorry for posting yet another item on ipfw -1 (especially to Crist),
but...

I have two web production boxes that were hammered yesterday (from
about 9:30 am to 12:30 pm) with (what I assumed to be) ip frags (a
very long list of
"/kernel: ipfw: -1 Refuse TCP e.f.g.h:54661 a.b.c.d:80 in via rl0").

They were coming from many different ips. A brief search did not show
any consistency in the ips that were hitting the two machines. I am
therefore assuming (danger danger) that is was more likely a
network issue that may have been causing the fragments and not some
type of Dos or attempt to 'circumvent' the firewall.

And, since I'm not so sure, I was hoping someone might be able to
shed a little more light on this one.

Thanks!

mike