Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:43:17 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Christian Brueffer <chris@unixpages.org>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: MAKEDEV(8) manpage

On 2003-03-24 19:14, Christian Brueffer <chris@unixpages.org> wrote:
> I'll write a small manpage this evening which says that MAKEDEV is
> gone now with a short summary of what devfs does.  Does that resolve
> your worries?

If you write a detailed description of devfs please add it to devfs(5)
and just replace the existing manpage of MAKEDEV with something like:

	The MAKEDEV script was deprecated by devfs(5) and geom(4) and
	removed from FreeBSD after GEOM became mandatory.  Please see
	the devfs(5), devfs(8), geom(4) and mount_devfs(8) manpages for
	more details.

This should be enough IMHO to point the reader to the right place.

- Giorgos

PS:  I really think that devfs(5) doesn't belong to section 5,
since it's not the description of a "file format", but this is a
very different topic.