Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 19:32:20 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ASUS SC-200 or SC-875

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> Hello,
> 	In our news machine we currently have 6 drives and one 2940 controller...
> I was thinking of adding another PCI scsi controller to speed it up a bit
> and allow us to add more drives....  Since I already have a controller I
> can boot from, would this matter with the SC-200 that I cant boot from it?
> ?  Or should I pay a little extra for the Ultra version (875)?  We dont
> have any ultra drives just yet... Would it matter for now in terms of
> performance?  Also, how are the drivers for the NCR based SCSI controllers
> ? Are they as stable as the Adaptec ones ?

	Not sure if this answers your question, but I currently have two
NCR53C810 (one SC-200, one I'm not sure) controllers in my news server
and, pleasantly, when I added the second card in, the machine just booted
without any problems.  I think I just got lucky in that my boot drive
happened to be on the right card, in the right slot.

	As far as I know (and I imagine there is a proper way of doing
this), if you put two cards in the machine and it doesn't boot, try
swapping the cards so that they probe in the proper order.  In my case,
I got lucky in that it was as pure a PnP as I've ever seen...YMMV