Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 16:04:24 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        "Open Systems Inc." <opsys@omaha.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape browser

"Open Systems Inc." wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Mark Ovens wrote:
>
> > Err, why exactly would any self-respecting Unix user want Internet
> > Exploder?
>
> Not to condone IE or MS but netscape renders slower than hell.
> I can pull up our local news papers URL and it sits for a good few seconds
> while it renders the page then draws it. IE just loads it right up.
> I just don't like netscape that much anymore. Its slow, buggy and slow.
> And between the two choices IE seems more stable, and faster.
> Granted im sure its full of hacks and whatnot but it's still faster.

I'd agree that Netscape has become a real dog in the performance
dept., and I'm looking for another browser that has the "features" of
Netscape but is not such a slug, but I would draw the line at using
IE. What is going to be next? MS Office for Linux?.

The danger with M$ porting apps to Linux is having M$ "standards"
imposed (Unix users using Word docs as a standard file format :-( ).
FreeBSD should reject the use of IE, let the Linux camp become
infected with the M$ virus (I wonder what RMS, ESR et al think of
it?).

> I cant believe I just endorsed a MS product,

You should be asheamed. Go and wash your mouth out with soap ;-)