Date:      26 Oct 1996 07:56:58 +0100
From:      Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ex/vi version 1.79 now available for anonymous ftp.

>> On Thu, 24 Oct 1996 12:19:43 +0300 (EET DST), Andrew Stesin
>> <stesin@gu.net> said:

    AS> Hi,
    AS> On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, J Wunsch wrote:

    >> Our /usr/bin/vi is already a little rusty.  I would really like it if
    >> somebody takes the stab and upgrades it.

    AS> 	Two direct consequences:

    AS> 	1. Perl 5.003_smth goes from ports to main tree --
    AS> 	   packed as a big shared library, + a 8k /usr/bin/perl;
    AS> 	   and /usr/bin/vi and all other programs using Perl5's
    AS> 	   embedded features will use that shared lib.

    AS> 	2. Old and rusty perl4 goes to Attic.

Afaik one can compile and use nvi perfectly without perl (or tcl). One
could put the new nvi in the base without dependency on perl or tcl
(and also remove those from the base :) and also put it in nvi where
it will use perl & tcl.

--
Peter Mutsaers  |  Abcoude (Utrecht), |  Trust is a good quality
plm@xs4all.nl   |  the Netherlands    |  for other people to have